Thank you for your questions and for your continued interest in out work. I’m sorry for the delay in answering them. Before you read them, please remember, that our team is much smaller when compared to our competition and we receive no other funding other than what we sell to you. Giant leaps forward or backward are impossible for us. Sometimes, it takes us longer to do big things and we can be slow when addressing known issues. All I can promise you is that we will continue to work hard every day to improve our already great flight and combat-sims and make them even better. Some of you will not like my answers below, but my policy has always been that honesty is always the best policy. So here we go.
1. Dear Jason, a question about tank crew. Has the issue of the next theater of operations for the tank crew project already been resolved? If you can elaborate ...
1. Уважаемый Джейсон, вопрос по танк крю. Решен ли уже вопрос по следующему театру военных действий по проекту танк крю? Если можно подробней…
Jason: As I have said previously elsewhere, we have made no decision about a future Tank Crew. There are many factors including whether or not our partners would want to do another one. Selling the concept of Tank Crew has been difficult. The community’s expectations have not matched my expectations or what we are capable of making right now. Our partners have done a fantastic job creating the tanks themselves and we have done a great job of adapting them to our engine, but whether that is enough only time will tell. But success of TC is not just in our hands. If the community believes in the concept and has fun with it, then a successor is more likely. Other than World of Tanks there has not been many successful WWII tank PC games, but we took this chance anyways. If there were, there would be more of them. I thought the combat sim community would embrace such a move by us, but the demands of the market are very high and tough to meet with the team I have. So again, time will tell, but we continue to improve TC before final “release”. I suggest if you are even remotely interested in tanks to please pick up a copy sooner rather than later.
2. Dear Jason, how many more years are you and the team planning to support and develop the game? Year? Two? If so, then our question is not relevant.
Jason: Well we will be engaged for another two years plus at least. I hope many more after that.
If more, then even a blind person understands that the problem of the "old age" of the game engine is long overdue. The developers are great, come up with and implement new chips, features, features of simulation, weather, shadows, twists, etc. etc. But what good is it, if no modern system can "digest" all this ?! The same developers are forced to "cut" something, to refuse something, so that the game is "more or less" playable.
With each new update, the game is saturated with new features, colors, chips and lotions. And this is wonderful! BUT ... in parallel, the game in its current form is getting harder and harder for the computer. More precisely, for the CPU. Processors do not become faster, and in the near future they will not, but each computer has 4-6-8-12-16 cores, more than half of which are EMPTY in the game! Why do I need new gorgeous clouds, if I have to “cut” them to have 90 FPS in VR? Why do I need magnificent shadows? Detailed reflections in mirrors, on surfaces? Why do I need all this, even if I TURN OFF ALL, I still do not have 90 fps at low settings? What else can you “cut off" to get 90 FPS in the VR helmet in this short track of fast departure?
Well, the question itself: when is it planned to remake the game engine for multithreading? And is it planned at all?
сколько еще лет вы с командой планируете поддерживать и развивать игру? Год? Два? Если так, то НАШ вопрос не актуален.
Если больше, то даже слепому понятно, что давно назрела проблема "старости" движка игры. Разработчики молодцы, придумывают и реализуют новые фишки, возможности, особенности симуляции, погоды,теней, завихрений и т.д. и т.п. Но какой от этого прок, если никакая современная система не способна это всё "переварить"?! Те же разработчики вынуждены что-то "резать", от чего-то отказываться, что бы игра была "более-менее" играбельна.
С каждым новым обновлением игра насыщается новыми возможностями, красками, фишками и примочками. И это прекрасно! НО... параллельно игра в нынешнем виде всё тяжелее и тяжелее для компьютера. Точнее, для ЦП. Процессоры не становятся быстрее, и в ближайшем будущем не станут, но в каждом компьютере имеется 4-6-8-12-16 ядер, больше половины которых в игре ПРОСТАИВАЕТ! Зачем мне новые шикарные облака, если я вынужден их "резать" что бы иметь 90 ФПС в VR?, Зачем мне великолепные тени? Детальные отражения в зеркалах, на поверхностях? Зачем мне всё это, если даже ВЫКЛЮЧИВ ВСЁ, я всё равно не имею 90 фпс на низких настройках? Что еще можно "отрезать", что бы получить в этом коротком треке быстрого вылета 90 ФПС в шлеме VR?
Ну, и сам вопрос: когда планируется переделка движка игры на многопоточость? И планируется ли вообще?
Jason: Our Sturmovik seems to run quite well on many systems (old and new) thanks to our careful choices and your ability to tweak settings. Performance of flight-sims has always been an issue for PC gamers. VR performance is not something we can completely control. The technology is still new and the damn goggles are hard to make work with our engine because we NEVER designed the engine to work with such technology. The fact that anyone can run VR with IL-2:GB is a small miracle and high praise goes to our Lead Programmer for making that possible. Unfortunately, good graphics is the #1 reason someone buys a sim or PC game. We must continue to push the envelope in this regard or die. We are working on a different method of shading that should be faster and over time look better and we think it will have better VR performance without having to “cut” graphical features. Initial tests are positive.
The question of multi-threading beyond what we already do is a complicated one. Maybe with a bigger team we can make such a new thing, but it is a complex subject. For now, we are not pursuing it. Maybe down the line we can after we tackle improved graphics. The reason we are working on DS is because it can better free up CPU cycles due to how it divides processing a complex scene.
3. Will new models of Soviet aircraft of the final stage of World War II be included in the game in the near future?
3. Будут ли в ближайшее время в игру включены новые модели именно советских самолётов заключительного этапа Второй Мировой Войны?
Jason: If we do a late stage East Front battle that can happen. But no such decision has been made yet.
4. is it possible add bomb loadout to ju-52? Earlier i post photos on com forum with bombs on that plane. And can we hope see in game similar playable plane for another side (c-47)?
Also, TC question, have you plans to continue project (new locations, tanks, etc)?
Jason: No such decision has been made about future theaters. I planned on making the Li-2, but we would need to sell a lot of them to make that a possibility and Ju-52 sales are just Ok. That is the most obvious comparison. But an A.I. C-47 is coming in BON, so that can help maybe make an Li-2 in future.
5. will there be improvements in vertical gameplay, and not just a constant increase in the fleet of aircraft and theater of operations? I mean the introduction of types of new ammunition (lighting, incendiary bombs, torpedoes, foil), radars, night vision devices, more close to the reality of bomb sights?
5. будут ли вноситься улучшения в вертикальный геймплей, а не только постоянное увеличение парка самолетов и ТВД? Я имею в виду введение типов новых боеприпасов (осветительных, зажигательных бомб, торпед, фольги), радаров, приборов ночного видения, более приближенных к реальности бомбовых прицелов?
Jason: New types of ammunition may be possible, but radars would be a big job. I don’t have anyone who can make it and community would demand a lot of realism for each type of radar and research would be difficult. How should each radar screen look? Very, very complicated issue. I have always loved night fighters so I never say never on this subject.
6. Tu-2, IL-4, SB-2 - are you considering / planning them?
6. Здравствуйте! Ту-2, Ил-4, СБ-2 - их рассматриваете/планируете?
Jason: I would love all three, but I have no one to build them, no money to build them and no time in current schedule. Also, references for such planes would be difficult to find I think, but maybe not and they are likely only in Russian language so only a Russian speaker can build them.
7. Will the eastern front be fully realized from 06.22.41-09.05.45?
7. Будет ли полностью реализован восточный фронт с 22.06.41-09.05.45г.?
Jason: Fully realized, probably not, but I hope to more realized it in the future.
8. Do you plan to change the sales form of the team’s products in the future? I mean the sale of individual (non-collection) aircraft, maps or other content (like RoF).
8. Планируется ли изменение формы продаж продуктов команды в дальнейшем? Я имею в виду продажи отдельных (не коллекционных) самолётов, карт или иного контента (по типу RoF).
Jason: No probably not, our current sales model has proven to be better than the ROF model.
9. I think many would agree that when using the A-20 for its intended purpose, namely as a line bomber, the review from the pilot's seat is extremely insufficient for accurate work in this capacity. For navigation and targeting, a good overview of the terrain is required, down and forward, for which purpose the A-20 plexiglass nose was designed with its excellent overview for the navigator. A player from the Western community has developed a mod that opens the navigator's cockpit (albeit in a very pitiable form), but it is also limited in most combat servers, and is practically not applicable online. I am sure that many pilots want this position to appear for normal combat work.
Advantages: first, as it was in life. About the benefits described above. Secondly, it is a big step forward with respect to pilots of bombers (especially red ones), already limited in aircraft and their working functionality in this project, which will undoubtedly increase their interest in this aircraft, as well as in the game generally. If you, developers, do not plan to implement it, please reconsider your position.
Jason: The decision to make the A-20 without a fully modeled nose was not mine and that decision was made right about or before I took over. I regret I did not demand to change it years ago, but I was busy solving other issues back then. I hate this issue as well and dream of a day when I can make the proper glass nose of A-20 and B-25. I always look for possible ways to do this, but it would have to be a special project outside of the current plan. If someone has the talent and desire, please make it and I will put it in, but to make to our level of quality is not easy and is only for super motivated person who can work professionally and likely for free.
10. for me personally in this magnificent game there is only one drawback - the "floating" appearance of the contact located right in the center of the angle of view, which in my humble opinion cannot be in real events. Or maybe, but very rarely, but not constantly, like here in IL-2. Is there any hope of fixing this?
The second, just a small question, is whether airplanes will be completed for 1941, for example, the early LaGG-3 and I-153 series, 109 E-4, etc.
Jason: The translation on the first question fails me. I do not understand what is “floating”? Earlier planes in 1941 is not in the current plan, I find it unlikely at this point, but like everything else, maybe in time.
11. Will work to improve the flight model of aircraft continue?
11. Продолжатся ли работы по улучшению летной модели самолетов?
Jason: Right now, we are focused on improving airplane systems which improve the simulation aspect outside of FMs. But Petrovich and the Engineering Team is always tweaking something FM related. Improvements will continue, but on a small level. I’d rather focus on things like damage and fuel systems/drop takes etc. As with everything, I always wish I had a bigger team.
12. The map of Western Europe from Operation Bodenplatte looks empty and lifeless. Will static objects be added - farms and villages, small cities? Will telegraph poles appear in the game? I think this is also true for the map of Normandy. Will there be extended restrictions on the number of AI objects in missions, careers, etc.?
Jason: I’m sorry you feel that way. BOBP map is huge by our standards and time to make it was limited and the engine has a performance limit to how many things we can stuff in it. Players already complain about stutters on this map etc. Even if I could add more detail to it, how would it perform? Our engine has no hard limit to objects, only your performance experience limits what can be done in a mission or on a map. In addition to performance considerations, I had to consider time and resource restraints; I was forced to make a decision about whether to focus on detailed urban areas with a detailed landscape at the expense of historically accurate airfields or to focus on bigger cities and towns, but add historically accurate airfield layouts. I chose the latter and I don’t regret it. I only regret not having more time. The result is many cool looking airfields and bigger cities than previous products. A smaller map with more detail would not have pleased you guys and Career mode would have sucked.
13. Will the resource appear in the near future to spend:
- network game optimization.
- graphics optimization
(frequent loading and missing textures of houses and skins)?
13. Появится ли ресурс в ближайшее время провести:
- оптимизацию сетевой игры.
- оптимизацию графики
(частая подгрузка и пропадание текстур домов и скинов) ?
Jason: As I have mentioned we are currently working on graphical enhancements. Completely re-vamping network code is a huge job and we can probably improve MP performance with small works over time. Our network code works and players can play MP and have so for years and we get many compliments of how our MP experience is superior to some other products. Complaints about our Netcode can usually be traced to a specific issue that needs addressing like stutters or disappearing planes. Of course, with a larger team I could do more faster, but I can only grow the team slowly. At least we now have a dedicated Ai programmer. Maybe in the future I can add a network programmer.
14. How is work going on to improve the visibility of aircraft at an average distance of 800m - 2000m, which is especially important for group flights?
14. Как продвигаются работы по улучшению видимости самолетов на средней дистанции 800м - 2000м, что особенно важно для групповых полетов?
Спасибо за понимание.
Jason: We are still discussing and investigating. There is no magic bullet on this one. Tracks that demonstrate the issue clearly is important for internal investigation. We have asked the community for these many times, but they are rarely sent to us and when they are, what and where we should look is also rarely explained. This makes investigation a slow process. And there is no clearly demonstrated ‘problem’ at this point other than I can’t see the other planes ‘all the time’ as I should. This is clearly not realistic. Visibility in real life is always variable. How to model visibility so you can have a fun experience in our sims while maintaining realism within the bounds of pixel limitations? Hmmmm… a real puzzle. We see shades of grey when discussing this issue with the community and reading your posts about it. Fast action about this ‘artistic’ issue rooted in realism that affects gameplay is not easy to solve. And not everyone believes we need to make huge changes on this issue. They are just quieter about it. Complainers always make the most noise on the internet. Sad, but true.
15. It's nice to see the game evolving and new maps and planes appear. Unfortunately, the game's graphics engine has remained virtually unchanged.
Materials of polished metal, glass, water, paint and rubber do not look at the modern level. The lighting system has remained unchanged almost since the game was released.
Do you track the achievements of competitors (Microsoft Flight 2020, DCS world 2.5) in the field of graphics?
Do not you think that it is necessary to update the graphic component of the game?
From Daniel (Han), in one of the diaries of the developers read that work in the field of graphics has begun. When to wait for the first results of this work? When can I see screenshots of the first changes?
When are you planning to release the Yak9 and Yak 9T?
15. Приятно видеть, что игра развивается и появляются новые карты и самолеты. К сожалению графический движок игры остался практически без изменений.
Материалы полированного металла, стекла, воды, краски и резины не выглядят на современном уровне. Система освещения осталась неизменной почти с выхода игры.
Отслеживаете ли Вы достижения конкурентов (Microsoft Flight 2020, DCS world 2.5) в области графики?
Не кажется ли Вам, что необходимо обновить графическую составляющую игры?
От Даниила (Han), в одном из дневников разработчиков читали, что работы в области графики начались. Когда ждать первые результаты этой работы? Когда можно увидеть скриншоты первых изменений?
Когда планируется к релизу Як9 и Як 9T?
Jason: No, we never look at what other teams are doing!! Don’t be foolish, of course we do. But again, we are working on the graphics rendering and we think it will bring us opportunities to improve some of Sturmovik’s appearance. We do not have the resources of other teams to do wholesale changes rapidly or even reasonably fast. We are the underfunded underdog with a boutique operating budget. See my pre-amble above. My team has only grown slightly the past couple years. We are outmanned 4 to 1 when compared to say ED as an example. Yet we still make progress even if glacially on some subjects.
16. When are you planning to release Tank Crew?
16. Когда планируете выпустить в релиз Tank Crew?
Jason: Final Tank Crew is likely in June or July. Still time to help us across the finish line by making a purchase!
17. will Il 2 have a complete set of weapons? .. (AO, AZ, VAP, as well as the armament of other aircraft, including allies .., parachute bombs, napalm, etc. .)
17. Уважаемый мистер Джейсон,будет-ли у Ил 2 полный набор вооружения?..(АО,АЖ,ВАП,а так-же вооружение других самолётов ,в том числе и союзников..,парашютные бомбы,напалм и.т.д. ..)
Jason: I’m always interested in making more weapons, hopefully we can. Napalm is hard to model and likely needs some new special effects, but sadly I do not have a special effects artist at the moment.
18. Hello. I’ve been in this simulator since the time of VEF2. The first question is duplicated with the questions already asked - this is visibility online. There were a lot of patches in the old Ile (also), but this never happened. Which planes will be available for the blue for the balance of the Yak-9 and the Hurricane? Will tankers have guided anti-aircraft guns at least on a wheeled or semi-tracked chassis? There were announcements that in dogfight it would be possible to designate as a slave of a bot or go bombing with a bot when this becomes a reality? Will the blues have an FW-189 as a reconnaissance or a Henschel for a Po-2 ballance?
18. Я в етой симуляции еще с времен ВЕФ 2.Первой вопрос он дублируетса с уже заданных вопросов ето видимост в онляне.На старом Иле пачи было много но такое никогда не происходило.Какие самолеты выдут для синих на баланс Як-9 и Хурикейн?Будут ли у танкистов управляемые зенитки хот на шасси грузовика или полугусеничника?Были аноннсы что в догфайте будет можно взят бота на ведового или идти с ботов на бомбежку,когда ето станет реалност?Буел у синих Фв 189 или Хеншел разведчик на баланс По 2?
Jason: Lots of questions there and translation is weak unfortunately. I will try to answer. About visibility see my previous answer. About balance, this is impossible. I am running out of mainline German fighter planes to build. More possibilities on the Allied side for new content right now.
Mobile AA units are planned as we have previously announced, but they are scheduled to be built by DigitalForms and if they lose interest they are in doubt. That is just one reason why we need more people to purchase TC. Show them there is a strong profitable future for ground combat in IL-2 and they will build more cool vehicles.
Fw-189 or Henschel is possible, but not likely after slow sales of U-2 (Po-2) that Russian community told me was super important and would be amazing to have! Ugra made an awesome U-2 (Po-2) airplane, but not many buy it because it is slow and weak. But I continue to support it by making new missions and female pilots anyway because I personally like it. In general, Western users (the large majority of customers) do not, even though I beg them to buy it. Once bitten, twice shy as they say.
19. Are you planning to develop a cooperative component of the game (PvE)? Now there is a large selection of single player campaigns and missions. It would be possible to give players the opportunity to beat them together. Classic online is not always possible and interesting, especially for those who do not spend so much time in the game, but who would like to spend several hours playing with the friends without problems.
And do you plan to return the hangar a la ROF? I loved him so much, it was the warmest and most lamp menu in best ever games.
19. Планируется ли развитие кооперативной составляющей игры (PvE)? Сейчас есть большой выбор одиночных кампаний и миссий. Можно было бы дать возможность игрокам обыгрывать их вместе. Классический онлайн не всегда возможен и интересен, особенно для тех кто не так много времени проводит в игре, но кому хотелось бы без заморочек провести за игрой несколько часов с друзьями.
И не планируете ли вернуть ангар а-ля РОФ? Я так его любил, это было самое тёплое и ламповое меню в играх best ever.
Jason: We already have Cooperative mission capability, so I am not sure I understand the question properly. If you mean more COOP content developed by us, I don’t have anything new to report, but Pat Wilson’s Campaign Generator now does COOP Campaigns and Vander’s Easy Mission Generator can also easily make COOP missions. Maybe these two apps will help you have mode fun in COOP missions. I suggest checking them out with your friends.
20. 1. Is it planned to expand the line of "Battles ..." to an earlier side: France 40, Africa, USSR 41 (Odessa, Leningrad, Sevastopol), the Finnish War (39-40)?
2. Is it planned to complicate the radio systems of the aircraft: radio communications, radar, prototypes of the friend-or-foe system, warning system about attack (bombers), guided bombs? These systems began to be introduced since 1943.
3. Is it planned to introduce an organizational structure for AI groundwork, that is, actions are not individual, but as part of batteries, regiments? And the corresponding decrease in efficiency in the destruction of KP, POISO, etc.?
20. Три разноплановых вопроса:
1. Планируется ли расширять линейку "Битв..." в более раннюю сторону: Франция 40, Африка, СССР 41 (Одесса, Ленинград, Севастополь), Финская война (39-40)?
2. Планируется ли усложнение радиосистем самолета: радиосвязь, радиолокация, прототипы системы "свой-чужой", система предупреждения об атаке (бомбардировщики), управляемые бомбы? Эти системы начали внедряться с 1943.
3. Планируется ли вводить для ИИ наземки организационную структуру, т. е. действия не индивидуальные, а в составе батарей, полков? И соответствующее снижение эффективности при уничтожение КП, ПУАЗО и т.д.?
Jason: About new Battles, as I stated above, I have nothing new to report. I of course always want to make more theaters, but you should also check out Team Fusion’s new North Africa add-on for Cliffs of Dover. They have done some cool stuff with some new planes. Stay tuned for more info about that product soon.
About radio system, I would like to do more stuff, but I don’t have the resources to do it at the moment.
Question 3 is hard for me to understand what you mean exactly. What about the AI are you asking about? I think you are asking about AI units on the ground? You want them to think as units?
21. 1) Will there be guided anti-aircraft guns in Tank Crew?
2) Will there be a continuation of Tank Crew at all?
3) Are there plans for the addition of infantry, trenches, and generally an increase in ground targets, with which you can revive the battlefield?
4) Do you plan to add coniferous forests on the map of Rhineland?
5) How is it planned to adequately depict D-day in the game (landing in Normandy), because this is a huge number of objects in the frame? Are there any fears for this?
6) Why was Ferdinand chosen for Tank Crew, which was only manufactured in about 100 pieces, and not for example StuG III, which were made and used in thousands of units?
7) Will there be an “expansion" of night missions (at least minimal)? I do not mean something global, but relatively small improvements so that you can create night missions (including online)
- adding light bombs
- reduced visibility with the scale turned out
- switch between your beacons
- possibly a blind landing system
- possibly simplified early warning radars (with text or voice output of contact information)
- reducing the brightness of the board lights, in particular tail light at A-20?
21. 1) Будут ли управляемые зенитки в Tank Crew?
2) Будет ли вообще продолжение Tank Crew?
3) Есть ли в планах добавление пехоты, окопов и вообще увеличение наземных объектов, с помощью которых можно оживить поле боя?
4) Есть ли в планах добавить хвойные леса на карте Рейнланд?
5) Как планируется адекватно изобразить день Д в игре (высадка в Нормандии), ведь это колоссальное количество объектов в кадре? Нет ли опасений за это?
6) Почему для Tank Crew был выбран "Фердинанд", которого изготовили всего ок.100 шт, а не например StuG III, которых изготавливали и использовали тысячами единиц?
7) Будет ли "расширение" ночных миссий (хотя бы минимальное)? Я имею в виду не что-то глобальное, а относительно небольшие доработки чтобы можно было создавать ночные миссии (в т.ч. онлайн)
- добавление осветительных бомб
- уменьшение видимости при выкрученной гамме
- переключение между своими радиомаяками
- возможно система слепой посадки
- возможно упрощенные радары раннего оповещения ( с текстовым или голосовым выводом информации о контактах)
- уменьшение яркости габаритных огней (АНО), в частности на "Бостоне"
1. See answer above.
2. Hopefully, but right now unknown. See comments in previous questions.
3. Infantry models are being worked on. That’s all I can promise at the moment. Trenches are not really possible. We can’t dig into the ground.
4. Mmm… maybe possible, but map team is busy with Normandy.
5. We will not simply have as many units in real life, but I am confident we can have an interesting invasion ‘scene’ when you fly over it with ships and artillery and landing craft moving about etc. Saving Private Ryan of Call of Duty D-Day invasion scene or gameplay you will not have. We are a flight-sim.
6. I approved it because it has a huge gun and it is a cool tank. I wish I could have done a Stug too, but I planned the Stug would be the star of a future TC product. So, time will tell.
7. More detailed night mission technology is not likely any time soon. Night technology is yet another cool idea, but no one to build it and likely smaller sales.
Your questions contained many parts so overall it was more than the 25 questions I promised to answer. Thank you for the questions, I hoped it clarified some things for you, even if I was not able to give you the answer you wanted. Please remember my first part and understand that the team works very hard for you under very difficult circumstances. Trust me when I say they are miracle workers and the only way they can keep preforming more miracles is with your continued support.
P.S. I used Google Translate to translate the questions. Someone who speaks English may want to translate my answers into Russian.